Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Posting in the Morning

Well....here I am...Posting in the morning!

I stepped on the scale this morning and I passed a zero - going from the 280's to the 270's.  That's a good feeling to pass that zero.  Why it's not '5' or '2' - I don't know.

In looking at the numbers, the scale has dropped dramatically over the last few days - going from 285 to 279.4 in three days.  I know this is water weight particularly since I've basically been low-carbing it.  But it got me to wondering...how much of this is true fat loss?

I always hear, 'you need to eat this many calories to lose weight', 'you need that many calories to lose weight'.  An endocrinologist told me (when I was a mere 255) that I needed to stick with 1000 calories a day to lose weight.  I had issues with this endocrinologist...but that's another story...

Anyway - if I were to focus on calories, which I'm not - how many would I need?  Well first, I wanted to find out how many calories I needed to maintain.  Several calorie counting calculators on various websites yielded the following:

Calorie King:  2250 - 2450 calories to maintain
Medical News:  2338
WebMD:  2331
Wikipedia:  2322, 2335 (original/revised Harris-Benedict for BMR); 1964 (Mifflin St. Jeor)

These calculations are based on your age, height, weight, and includes activity level - for me, that would be inactive, sedentary, whatever puts me at the lowest end of the activity scale barring being bed-ridden.

From this, it seems like weight loss should be an easy thing to do.  Calories in, calories out, right?  I'm not so sure.  I totally understand the laws of thermodynamics, but Authority Nutrition has an intriguing argument against the calories in, calories out.  The article is here.  Another interesting article about CICO is from a Scientific American blog by Rob Dunn.  It's here.

One thing I've tried to do the last couple of days is to be mindful of how much I'm eating.  I had lunch at McDonald's yesterday - some grilled chicken salad with half a package of dressing.  What I skipped this time were those chicken wings they have at the moment.  Lordie do I ever love me some chicken wings!  However, these are quite breaded and I'm sure they have a bunch o'carbs in them and I would have either the 5 or 10 piece.  Then at dinner last night, my son and I went to BWW - he's leaving for school in a few days - so he's making the rounds of restaurants around here.  Monday night is their boneless wing special and they're much cheaper than they normally are (and I am somewhat of a frugal person).  But again, there's breading (white stuff) on the boneless wings, so I got the traditional wings instead.  Instead of my usual 15-18, I had 10 wings with blue cheese and 2 boats of celery.  I also skipped the shareables!  Yeah me!

Was all this optimal?  No - not at all.  Was it an improvement?  Yes - I think so.  I minimized my carbs, I ate until I was full, and I didn't feel deprived.

At this point, I have no idea what the answer to my weight issues are, but I'm going to keep making the effort to make the changes I need to get this weight off and keep it off for the rest of my life.  I have this idea in my head of what I'd like the rest of my life to look like.  It's the getting from here to there that's going to be challenging.  The one thing I do know for sure, the rest of my life is going to happen, fat or not, healthy or not, happy or not - it's really up to me.

Onward...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments here.