Friday, February 7, 2014

Finally starting to feel better

Well...here I am...

Finally starting to feel better.

It's been a tough couple of days.  I felt like some serious dog poo.  Aches, pains, chills, painful throat, fever, horrible headache, but no cough.  I think the headache was the worst part - like some funky neck/sinus sort of thing.  Anyway, I've basically been in the bed since Tuesday evening, but I finally got up today and took a shower.  I think I'm gonna live.

As well, we had a horrible storm and we lost power early Wednesday morning; but we were some of the lucky ones and got power back late Wednesday afternoon.  I think some folks might still be without power.

Even though I didn't feel well, I made sure I ate good food.  I'm one of those folks who feels sorry for themselves when they don't feel good, so in the past I've always justified being sick as a reason to go on an eating spree.  Not so this time - and that was a big thing for me.

The scale hasn't had much movement, but that's okay - I've barely moved in the last three days, so it shouldn't move!

Even though I haven't written anything in the last few days, I've done a lot of reading and a lot of thinking.  I've run across some excellent blogs that I added to my list.  Cranky Fitness is so funny, but to the point.  As well, I found Nia Shanks and GoKaleo to be motivating as well.

It's funny how things work.  Reading their blogs brought something to the forefront that's been rolling around in the back of my mind for a while now.

That something is exercise.

I don't get enough and I think it's important to build up some muscle to help maintain this weight loss when it's all said and done.

Now about 12 years ago, I joined a gym and hired a personal trainer.  I loved it.  Our first session was horrible - it was amazing how out of shape I was - and I was about 75 lbs lighter at the time!  Anyway, I'll never forget our first session working with all the weights - I loved it.  At the end of the session, he had me get on the elliptical.  I'd never been on an elliptical before, but didn't think it looked so hard.  Ben knew better though.  At the end of 90 seconds...yes seconds....I thought I was going to DIE.  I could barely move.

Funny thing though, within just a few weeks, I loved that elliptical and could go with medium resistance for 45-60 minutes.  Ben had a term for my ability to so quickly adapt, but I can't remember what it was.  I went for several months and great things were happening.

Anyway - other things happened.  Two different cancer diagnoses, but that's a different blog.

Fast forward to 2010.  I'm 75 lbs heavier, I'm in a different state, I have a different job, and I have an office mate.  I *loved* this office mate.  Sweetest young man ever - like a younger son/brother.

Anyway, he knew I was going to Weight Watchers and that I wasn't losing very much weight at all.  He offered to walk with me at lunch and I accepted.  Now let me tell you something about this officemate - his hobby is bodybuilding and he's won national championships, but he's got this whole health thing going on at the same time.

So, we started walking at lunch, then we started walking on the weekend.  We ended up walking 2.5 miles every day at lunch in 30 minutes.  On the weekends, we worked our way up to 13.1 miles - it was incredible.  I felt good, I felt strong, but I still wasn't losing weight at any appreciable rate.  It was quite frustrating to not be losing any weight.  One good thing though was that I could finally keep pace, maybe even outpace a little, my husband!

My officemate told me that he could give me a workout plan that he was confident would help me lose weight and build some muscle.  He worked up a plan for me and even came to my house to coach me through the first time to ensure I had good form, etc. Doing it alone though - I didn't last long - I think I did it for about 2 months and it just petered away. 

Then my wonderful office mate got another job and not only moved out of the area, but he moved to another part of the country!

And that was the end of that.

Fast forward, it's a few years later and I'm here.   I hate to exercise and just get bored with it.  We've got a Precor elliptical in the basement.  They say to watch TV while you're doing it, but it's all just boring.  I've never found anything that's held my attention.

I think I'm making good progress -  no I haven't lost 30 lbs in 30 days, but I have lost some weight, I feel in control, and I feel like I'm moving forward.  However, I think I really do need to add some exercise to my life.

A few weeks ago, I bought a pedometer and it's shown me just how inactive I am during the day.  I need to fix this and I don't think it's the cardio I need - I think it's resistance.  I don't think exercise is going to help me lose weight, but I think it will help me build some muscle and perhaps help me restore some of the muscle I'm losing as a result of my weight loss.

Can I just say that it drives me nuts when you're "dieting" and you hit a plateau and folks say, "You must be turning that fat into muscle and muscle weighs more than fat".  I mean it drives me to distraction.  Fat and muscle are two different entities in our body - one doesn't turn into the other.  And unless science has made a new discovery, you build muscle by heavy resistance.

Anyway - the workout my office mate gave me was simple:  3x8 of overhead press (w/65 lb bar), pulldowns, and squats - I think that's what they're called.  Before this weekend is over, I'm going to do this workout.

I hope I'm not fooling/lying to myself.  My motivation is different now, but I gotta say this is gonna be hard - following through with actually working out.  I've got to figure something out to make it work.

Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments here.