Monday, March 17, 2014

A Snow Day

Well...here I am...

...enjoying the snow day and the day off because of it!

NEWSFLASH!  I've added some progress pictures.  It's all a mismash on the photo page because I can't figure out how to format the damn things like I did in January.  Plus, I'm using Paint.NET and I've got to get the photos sized up correctly - apples to apples - before I can layer them to get a side by side comparison.  I'm wearing the same pants and the same shirt as in the original.  BTW - my daughter and I were going skiing in the original photos.

In looking at the photos, I think there may be a difference - like I look less "puffy", but nothing drastic.  Don't the boobs look all wampa-jabbered?  I dunno what *that's* all about!  The thing that bugs me a bit is that the original photos are from January 2013, not 2014.  Lots of wasted time....sigh.  There's a picture of my mom and me at Thanksgiving 2013 where it's clear I'd gained even more weight from January.

Anyway...

So the scale was down to 269.8 for about 3.2 seconds and has been up since - thought not by much.  I don't think it's anything to really worry about.  First, there's fluctation all the time.  Secondly, my sodium intake over the last few days has been higher than usual and I believe it's causing me to retain water.  I can feel it in my hands.

My food has been fine.  The only problem was Saturday evening.  We went to the yearly neighborhood St. Patrick's day party.  Every year, there's corned beef, potatoes, cabbage, lots of desserts, and lots of alcohol.  I really prepared myself before going and decided that I would freely eat the corned beef and the cabbage, but wouldn't have anything else unless everyone was raving like a maniac about how good "it" was.  Alcohol?  Meh?  I'm not a big drinker at all, so I'm fine with either water, tea, or diet coke.

I don't know if it's the change in my diet or what, but that corned beef and cabbage was the best I'd ever eaten in my life.  It was so incredibly good that I had a second helping, which left me quite satisfied.  I looked at the dessert table, which was full of a lot of store bought sweets and desserts, but two things caught my eye.  The first was brownies and the second thing was a green bundt pound cake.

When I took a second look at the brownies, I realized they were store bought - so there went THAT distraction.  The cake was a bit more difficult.  I make a seriously kick ass cream cheese pound cake, so I was interested in this one.  Plus, I thought I heard someone say that it was pistachio, so that piqued my interest.  But then, a friend of mine got a piece and said that it was good, but that it was just pound cake.  So there went THAT temptation.  There were a lot of leftovers, so we brought some of the cabbage and corned beef home.

Yeah for me!!!

So yesterday, the scale was up again due to the sodium (fatsecret estimates that I had 6618 mg sodium on Saturday!).  Did I make it any better when I had more corned beef and cabbage for lunch yesterday and actually ADDED some salt???  I must be crazy!!!  When I woke up this morning, I could *feel* the water in my body, but the scale was down a little bit, so that's good.

The geek in me has consolidated all my nutritional information into an open office spreadsheet.  I'm still maintaining a food diary at Fatsecret, but the spreadsheet allows me an instant big picture look.  I'm actually more interested in things other than the calories - like fiber and sodium.  Plus, I only plan to track my food off and on just to check to make sure I'm doing what I think I'm doing.  Anyway, I'd go into detail, but suffice it to say that spreadsheet is over the top!!

I was reading an article about weight loss the other day and it left me with a question.  The article said that excess sodium will keep you from losing weight.  Were they just referring to water weight or were they talking about ongoing weight loss?  Is it a one time deal?  If I cut back on the sodium, will I lose weight faster?

In terms of weight, I didn't really think it would do anything except get rid of water weight.  I looked at a bunch of different journal articles to get the 'skinny'.  And I was right, it's the water weight only.  However, given that lots of processed foods have higher levels of sodium, there's an association.  So perhaps if you get rid of processed foods, you'll lose weight.  Plus, higher sodium is associated with higher blood pressure - so is having a fat ass - but I digress.  My sodium intake for the month so far is 2373 mg/day with a low of 716 mg and a high of 6618.

I guess the biggest accomplishment of this snow day though is that I actually exercised.  It was only 15 minutes, but that's more than I've been doing and it's a start.  I just did some walking for about 10 minutes and then 2 sets of curls with 15 lb weights.  Like I said - it's a start.  Yeah Me.  Maybe I'll check out YumYucky's youtube videos!

Onward! 


6 comments:

  1. Twice I commented on you blog and twice I lost it when trying to send it- I give up!!
    I'm happy about your 20 lb loss- it really shows! And good job navigating the party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't give up!!! I appreciate the comments when they make it through! ;-)

      Delete
  2. I think it shows in the middle - under the boobs! When I'm at 250, that's where it always comes off first too. I'm sure it is showing up elsewhere, but places we can't see! :) Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diva!!! I thought there might be a little less under the boobs. Hubster said my but wasn't poking out so much - an odd compliment, but I'll take it!

      Delete
  3. Ohhh yeahhh. I can see the progress!!! You be doing good, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU YumY!!! Having walking appendages like yours is a goal of mine!

      Delete

Leave your comments here.