Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Great Bacon Dare

Well...here I am...

...thinking about The Great Bacon Dare.

So the story goes like this.

Hubby always gets up first in the morning.  He likes to piddle around the house, read the news, do some work, make coffee, let the dogs out.  Me?  I'm a slug and stay in bed as long as possible!  I think it's the secret to the longevity of our marriage!

After I'm ready for work this morning, I head downstairs and I see hubster holding a plate and eating eggs and bacon!!!  He had cooked!!  I said, "Bacon!!!  Nom, nom, nom!!  I love bacon!" and took a small piece off his plate. There were several pieces left on the stove, so I took another small piece.

Hubster and I were talking about bacon in general as I started to make my smoothie.  After a moment, he said, "you should put it in your smoothie."  Like I wouldn't do that?!?!!?  In reply I said, "Do you dee-dawg-double-dare me?"  He said he was.  I didn't say anything further and continued making the smoothie.

Now I have a very particular order in which I add the ingredients.  After I made the initial mix of the bulky stuff, hubster said, "I knew you wouldn't do it!"

WELL...LET ME TELL YOU!

I walked over to the stove, grabbed the remainder of the bacon, and threw it in the blender!!!

You just can't dee-dawg-double-dare somebody and expect them to back down.  ESPECIALLY when it comes to bacon.

My morning smoothie with bacon!
Anyway, I finished making the smoothie and drank it.  To be honest, it tasted exactly the same as it always does (else I've got some messed up taste buds).  The only thing I noticed was that there was a little bit of bacon every once in a while.  But really, it was like a snack during breakfast!  Now if I didn't *know* that my smoothie had bacon in it, I might have been a little worried.  But I did, so I wasn't.

The scale - pffftt.  What can I say?  It was down to 270.2 yesterday and I was quite happy, but given the day before, I wasn't going to get overly excited less the scale goes up 20 lbs in 5 seconds.  It's been known to happen in a another universe...I'm sure of it!

I had dinner with a friend last night, so I expected the scale to be up this morning and it was.  I'm okay with it.  The night out with my friend and just the relaxing dinner and conversation was a lot of fun.  I rarely get to do this, so it was totally worth it.

Besides, the scale will go down.

Three other things happened today that I made a mental note about.

The first was that I visited hubster's office today.  He's only at the other end of the building, so it's not like I had to drive or anything like that.  It's just that I usually don't need to venture that way, but we needed to have a work-related chat.  Anyway, the admin in his office keeps the place STOCKED with treats - candy, pretzels, etc. - SUGARY stuff.  I looked at the bowl but without any thought in it.  When I didn't take anything from the bowl, the admin took out a huge bag and wanted me to find something I liked.  I had to tell her that I truly didn't want anything and that I had quit eating anything with added sugar.  The point being - it wasn't a struggle at all to turn down the candy - even when she pushed to take some.

The second was that the 3 boxes of thin mints I bought were delivered to my office today.  I had forgotten all about them.  This was a little more tempting, but not hard.  I gave one box to a colleague; the remainder are in a bag in the car because I forgot about them.  I'm going to have hubster give them to his admin!  That'll teach her!  ;-)  I think that's a win of some sort, don't you think?

The third is the hardest.  I've been on this path for a while now and I'm getting comfortable with it.  Not comfortable in a neglectful sort of way, but comfortable in a satisfied sort of way.  There are things I do and changes I try to adopt along the way - some are easy, some are hard.

Well, tonight when I got home and was changing clothes, I decided to take my measurements.  I pulled the tape measure out of the sewing kit and took 2 measurements.

Then I stopped.  It was making me quite unhappy and made me feel unsettled.  It was that old, familiar, doubtful, uneasy feeling that the road is too hard, the time is too long, the work is too hard, and I don't have what it takes to be successful in a permanent, lifelong sort of way.

I don't know what it was about taking the measurements that bothered me so much.  I've taken measurements before and never felt like this at all.  In any event, I HATE THIS FEELING.  I'm glad I stopped.

But DO take note:  THAT INSECURE PART OF ME CAN KISS THAT SECURE PART OF ME'S ASS!!!

That is all.

Onward!


2 comments:

  1. Love that you tossed the bacon in, just sorry that it didn't transform the smoothie into something awesomely different. I had a chocolate bacon cupcake once that was truly a transcendent experience.

    And good for you kicking the negative thoughts to the curb! Insecurities are bound to pop up, it's how ya handle it that counts and you rocked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really can't beat the combination of chocolate and bacon. I feel sorry for those folks who don't like chocolate and/or don't like bacon. They're missing out!

      I love seeing your posts on my blog - I appreciate the affirmation so very much!

      Delete

Leave your comments here.