Thursday, April 17, 2014

Another woman

Well...here I am...

...thinking about another woman.   And no, hubster ain't having no affair!  ;-)

When I started writing this blog, I didn't know if anyone would read it or even how folks would know the blog even existed.  Imagine my surprise when a few weeks in I got a comment from another woman who was also writing about her weight loss efforts.

I was happy to have a 'friend' doing the same thing.  She made 12 posts throughout January and hasn't posted anything since.  I'd like to think that she's succeeding, but I'm fairly sure she gave up.  I hope she's not beating herself up about it.

On a related topic, I was an avid smoker for 28 years.  Gave it up cold turkey on 11/22/2002 - the Friday before Thanksgiving.  I haven't smoked since and have absolutely no desire to smoke at all.  Statistics (and we all know about statistics) say that 95% of folks who try to quit smoking cold turkey fail.  I knew that statistic and it was a motivator for me.  I was going to beat it.

When folks find out about that smoking history, they always ask how I was able to do it.  I tell them I kept quitting until I quit.  If I had never tried, I never would have succeeded.  I tell them to never stop trying - it'll take one day.  I put effort in each time I tried to quit, but that last time, I really, really
worked it.

I'm so incredibly thankful I didn't quit quitting.

So when I think about that woman, I also wonder where I would be now if I had given up in those early days of this new life.  I'd be heavier, unhappy, and less healthy.  My knees would hurt even more, my ankles would be swollen all the time, my skin would look like shit, and I'd be miserable.

What do I have instead?  Well - I'm down almost 30 lbs, my ankles are never swollen, my knees don't hurt as much or as often, my skin looks much better, and my mood is much better.  You can't make it unless you really, really work it.

What am I gonna feel like when I reach 175?  Hell - I'll probably dance a jig!!

I hope that woman doesn't quit quitting.

A nice thing for the day.  When hubby picked me up today, the first thing he said when I got in the car was, "Do yourself a favor and buy some pants!  Those are falling off.  You look like MC Hammer in those jeans."  What sweet, sweet words!!!!!

Onward!

3 comments:

  1. Having been in the diet blogging community since 2009, I can tell you that many people will come and go. It sometimes really hurts. I went. I regained. I wasn't okay. I've learned that we can't live the journey for anyone else...they have to be ready. It's hard not to get attached to people and worry about them! So hard. I'm happy for you that you are doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What she said is true. And I'm seeing a big influx of those leaving now. Fortunately, I'm pretty sure that my friends that are leaving or at least posting much less, are because they are bored with blogging, not because they've fallen off the wagon. I still miss them though. But I know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Do yourself a favor and buy some pants! That is wonderful on multiple levels-
    I quit smoking cold turkey too; my fiance at the time didn't want me to smoke, so the day I said "I-do" is the day I said "I-quit." that was 24+ years ago. Then the pounds started piling on and my husband said I would rather have you fat than smoking; did he just give me license to pig out for the rest of my life? Why was I able to quite cold turkey and not be able to stick to a sensible eating plan? Do I need an ultimatum? You're going to die and leave your child mother-less and husband wife-less is good enough? Clearly I have some issues-

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments here.