Saturday, April 19, 2014

Bingo!

Well...here I am...

...thinking about what a great time I had at Bingo last night!

A friend of mine (hey friend!) organizes a bunch of her family and friends to go to Bingo about twice a year.  Most of the ladies are either family or long-time friends, so I'm happy to be included in the group.


This particular Bingo was being sponsored by the local volunteer fire department.  On the menu was fried chicken and roast beef with no mention of what else would be on the menu.  Anyway, this friend and I have been talking about how we were going to tackle the Bingo food.  Like me, she is figuring out what she needs to do to lose weight and live her life.

I'm not so sure it was what was on the menu that was the concern, but rather the snack food on the table later.  I brought pork rinds since they're no carb.  (On a side note, are pork rinds considered processed food??  The only ingredient in these was pork rinds.  Nothing else.  I dunno)  My friend brought celery and some beautiful strawberries.  A third friend brought some hummus, some popped, crunchy, tortilla-looking thingies (I don't know what they're called), and some mini chocolate-covered pretzels, but there's supposed to be something low-carb, low-calorie or something about the chocolate itself.

As for me, I had previously decided that depending on how the chicken was breaded, I was going to eat the chicken, possibly some roast beef, with the rest of the menu to be determined.  When I got there, I saw that the chicken was either very lightly floured or not floured at all (being raised in the south, I *know* chicken!), the roast beef was quite lean, and the rest of the offerings - sweet cole slaw, mashed potatoes, peas, and rolls - were going to be off-limits for me.

I got two medium-sized chicken thighs and about 3 ounces of the beef.  Fried chicken is one of my favorite foods, but I rarely eat it except for my mother's.  I don't want the mess in my kitchen and the national chains put too much crap in it.  I savored every bite of that chicken and was quite satisfied when I was finished.

Throughout the evening, I had some of the pork rinds with some hummus, three of the strawberries (they were big and delicious - I think I see what Gwen means), and one of the mini pretzels just to see what the chocolate was like.  Of all the table choices, the strawberries were the best...in many different categories - choice, look, taste, etc.

At intermission, they described the desserts over the PA system.  They sounded sinfully delicious, so I thought it best to keep my ass planted in my chair.  As I stretched my legs during the break, I saw some of the desserts that folks were eating.  I'm not gonna lie - they looked quite good and I would have liked a piece, but not so much so that I had any.  Does that make sense?

The only blip on last night's screen was when I won some money.  I was passing the buffet line on the way back to the table.  By that time, they were close to the end and had started cooking wings just like they did the big pieces of chicken.  I took two of those little drumettes and ate them.

I wasn't hungry at all.  It looked good and it was there.  Was I rewarding myself because I had won some money?  Would the food during the after-aura of winning not have an effect on my nutrition?  I'm such a dum-bass.  It's not the end of the world, but it's something I need to be very mindful of.  I think it's that spur of the moment situation that has the potential to lead to the fall of the DIP* and start an avalanche that will be difficult to recover from...asshole (since I can't end a sentence with a preposition).

Onward!

*DIP - Donna Improvement Program


10 comments:

  1. You did an incredible job of managing the food at the night of Bingo!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey ya.. I think you did a great job, too! If two little drum sticks is all you picked up, then Congrats on that! My family has always associated food with everything they do. If your happy, eat, if your sad, eat, someone dies, eat...stress, eat! Hell, just sitting around a table yapping, there has to be food! I'm trying not to associate everything in life to food! For me and my hubs we did that ..go shop, have to have lunch... and so on... he says "I'm boring" now because I don't eat with him... but he'll get over it!
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie - my family was the same way - food was associate with EVERYTHING!!! It's amazing the subconscious habits we pick up.

      Delete
  3. THMama does not consider pork rinds processed food because it has one ingredient. I eat them when I need a chip like snack. I also crush them and use them as a breading on chicken strips or on roasted cauliflower...divine. The more success you have navigating events like this, the more confidence you gain, the more you lose and keep off for a life time. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dvia!!! I'm so glad you told me that! I thought that pork rinds might make a good breading on various things. I tried coconut flour on chicken and it was a miserable fail - turned out quite gritty.

      Delete
  4. Wow, great self-control with all the major temptations! And if you're like me, that little glitch in taking a bit more of an "approved" food than necessary to make up for saying no to so many worse things... it's so understandable!

    I think you are handling it just right--being mindful but forgiving of the minor stuff and not letting it distract you from your success in much bigger ways is probably the best way to stay motivated. Yay you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crabby - You made my day...if you only knew!

      Delete
  5. I totally need to do Bingo! And you know what? Yes... I'm gonna do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YumY - Ya gotta do it!!! You can come with us!!!

      Delete

Leave your comments here.