Sunday, April 27, 2014

Maneuvering parties

Well...here I am...

...thinking about how I maneuvered the party last night.

So, hubster and I went to a "social" last night at a co-worker's house.  The social was just a get-together since the group has a long-term "friend" who is visiting for a few weeks for a collaboration.

To back up a bit - I had some of that scrumptious bacon for breakfast yesterday.  I think I'm becoming addicted to the stuff.  But alas, that was the last of it.  That was about 9:30 am.


Hubster was flying home yesterday, so I just tooled around the house doing odds and ends.  Then about 1:30, I ate some leftover salmon - about 4 ounces.  Eating wasn't on my mind at all.

After hubster got home, we took a nap and then got ready for the party.  We stopped by the local liquor store and got some beer to take.  We also bought two 16 oz. diet sodas since I didn't know what the drink options were and I had already decided that I wasn't going to drink any alcohol.

As we drove to the party, I realized I was starving.  We didn't have time to stop to eat and I didn't know what food, if any, was going to be served.  I was in a bit of a food pickle.

Anyway, we get to the party and we're all outside hanging out around the pergola and gazebo.  I see someone with a plate of food that had cucumbers on it, so I wandered into the house.  The table was packed with food (I'm such a schmuck - I didn't take anything, but didn't know I needed to).  There was some turkey sausage with onions, vegetarian chili, cucumbers, carrots, homemade hummus, dumplings, and other stuff I can't remember.

I got three slices of the sausage (perhaps 2 oz), maybe a 1/4 cup of the chili, some of the cucumbers, and some hummus.  I *really* wanted to get some of the dumplings since they're my favorite Asian treat, but I knew I wouldn't stop with one.  Everything fit on the little cake plate with room to spare, so it wasn't a lot.  I had made up my mind that hubster and I would eat after the party, so I just needed something to stave off the hunger.

Since I know me and tables of food, I stayed outside the entire time we were there.  That was a good thing too.  After eating that little bit of food, I could feel my hands swelling up.  There was something with a lot of sodium in it.  I'm thinking it was the turkey sausage and/or hummus, but I'm not sure.

So later in the evening, what happens?  They bring ALL the desserts out to the table in the gazebo!!  WTF?!?!?!  Keep that shit in the house!  I'm outside because the food was inside!!!!  I don't want it around me.  But, of course, I don't say anything.  It seemed to me that there was a bakery on that stupid table, but the two things that stood out to me were the brownies and the baklava.  They were QUITE tempting and it was difficult to not just eat it.

Then I saw someone bring out MORE baklava and saw that it was from a box.  So, it didn't meet the DIP standard of eatability since it wasn't fresh, but processed.  I really did feel some measure of relief.   That left the brownies - I knew they were homemade and I do like the homemade ones.  I saw hubster eat one of the brownies, so I asked him if it was really good.  Now sometimes he'll lie and say something doesn't taste good, but when he told me 'no' this time, I knew he was telling the truth by the way he scrunched up his nose.  So...no brownie for me either.

After leaving the party, we went to a Peruvian restaurant for chicken.  I was SO hungry that I ordered half a chicken along with some green beans.  I didn't eat all the chicken and ended up bringing the breast home.

The scale was up this morning, which is frustrating.  I don't think I was off track such that the scale should have been up.  Having said that, I looked back at my sodium intake and it's been quite high the last few days.

In my craziness, I give the scale anthropomorphic qualities.  And I swear, it's trying to teach me patience.  Instead of the scale going down to get to the 250's, it's up!!!  DAMN SCALE!  The threats I've made against the scale haven't phased it a bit!  One day soon I hope!

Onward!

10 comments:

  1. HIgh sodium eating out always causes water retention for me and the scale goes up even if the calories are really OK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right and I think I'm a little sensitive to the sodium as well.

      Delete
  2. Sodium is the evil doer of all women! LOL I am still amazed at how much sodium is in things. I do not eat chinese anymore out, I have my husband make it for me if I need it. Last time I went and read every ingredient for a nice fried rice and he made it and it was delish! And , so many less cals and sodium. Well worth the trip to the store.
    I'm also in menapause and it raises havoc with me all the time. I've gone 8 mohths and then 6 months and both times I had a period in between. That is a killer for us in the weight loss dept.!
    You just have to keep telling yourself that its not a race, its a way of life now. Thats all I'm doing. If it goes up I just tell myself that by 2 days it will be gone.
    Remember also and I'm sure you know this. You have to eat 3500 cals a day to gain an actual pound of fat back. So the water weight will come off easily! :)_

    Have a great day..
    Rosie
    I just went back and read this and I type so randomly! Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Rosie - I'm pretty random myself, so everything you write makes perfect sense to me!!

      Delete
  3. I'm a sucker for party food. Had I been there, the host/hostess would try to hide the food from me, so as to ensure the other guests got their fair share. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love me some party food too, but I'd love to have a normal-sized ass more!

      Delete
  4. You had SO much more self-control than I would have. I'm like Yum Yucky, if you invite me to a party, watch out! I'll eat way more than my fair share. Good thing I'm not popular enough to get invited to more parties!

    And sorry the scale was mean! They are evil inventions aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scales - they're bastards! All of them!

      Delete
  5. I think you navigated that landmine like a pro!!!!!!! Keep rocking it...and don't worry about the scales...you know and I know that it could simply be water retention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, but yannow - I was 0.8 lbs away from the 250's...

      I'm pretty sure it's water, but dayum...

      Delete

Leave your comments here.