Thursday, May 8, 2014

A long week

Well...here I am...

...it's been a long week!

I've been really busy this week and it seems like I've been going non-stop and being pulled in 10 different directions at once.

The good thing about it is that it's kept me on my feet and I've logged about 7000 steps a few days.  Not the best, but it's an improvement.  Mind you, my normal work doesn't require a lot of steps.

My eating has been on track as well, but the scale has been up the last two days in a row.  I believe that yesterday's increase was because we ate out two meals of the three.  This morning's increase was due to the sodium yesterday.  I had bacon for dinner last night - and it wasn't the low sodium bacon.

I got my hair cut OFF yesterday.  It is no longer long, which I'm glad.  I look better with the shorter hair.  While I do like the cut, it's not exactly what I was looking for, but we're on the right track.  It's been difficult to get someone to *REALLY* cut my hair - I don't know what the deal is with that.

One interesting thing I've done this week is get CPR-certified.  I had the certification many years ago, but I hadn't had any refreshers in years.  So I now have my adult, child, and pediatric certification along with AED training.  I'm happy to have the certification, but hope I never have to use it, but also hope that I can if I have to.  The thought of breaking ribs in the process is a little scary though.  I guess it's better than the possible alternative.

My CPR dummies
Another interesting thing I did - just today as a matter of fact - is check into getting a personal trainer.  We have law enforcement where I work and I'm on friendly terms with many of them.  In any event, I saw one fellow in particular today and asked him if he was still doing personal training.  I told him I needed someone to kick this fat woman's ass.  We discussed a few things and decided that he'll come by my office so we can really figure out what we're gonna do.  We have a large campus and a gym, so it shouldn't be too difficult to.  This fellow is a nice guy, but I don't think he'd be one to take whiny excuses from a lazy fat woman.  I have no idea what a trainer costs, so that might put a kabosh on the whole thing.

I've also been organizing a retirement party for a co-worker.  The party is tomorrow and I think it'll be fun.  We're all meeting at a nearby pub for lunch.  I love the gift we came up with.  The guy is a big gardener and loves the beach.  So, we took up a collection and bought gift certificates to a hardware store.  We also bought one of those kids' plastic pail and shovel - you know, the ones they play with at the beach.  All of us have signed the pail and I've filled it with dark chocolate (his favorite).  I've got a shiny pinwheel stuck in the middle.  It's really cute and unique - at least I think so.

It's interesting.  The pail is filled with about 3 pounds of various chocolate squares.  I haven't had one, haven't even thought of having one.  In my ongoing quest to figure out what my food triggers might be, I've discovered it's not chocolate.  But, I've said it before, I don't think my food triggers are from a particular food, but rather a particular emotion.

Finally, I've been reading the book, Pure, White, and Deadly by John Yudkin.  The book was originally published in 1972.  It's amazing.  The information about sugar was available then.  It's too bad that the medical machine of the time touted the flawed idea of saturated fats being the bad guy in our diets.  We'd be a different country if we'd followed Yudkin instead of Keys. 

Anyway, that's about it for now.

Onward!




3 comments:

  1. Chocolate doesn't do it for me either, although I enjoy the Skinny Version of the program I am following. A personal trainer? Sounds interesting and committed! I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diva - Don't be impressed yet. At this point, I'm just talking the talk. I've gotta make the jump to walking the walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I hope the personal trainer doesn't cost you much and that it 'kicks your tail end' in just the way you need it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments here.