Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The clothes in my closet

Well...here I am...

...thinking about the clothes in my closet.

Just let me say that shopping is not my favorite pastime.  While most of the national chain stores carry larger sizes for us voluptuous women, it's difficult, at least for me, to find something that looks good.  Maybe it's just me, but most of the clothing looks like shit - like it was made for someone in the circus with no sense of fashion.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm no fashion maven, but I do want to look presentable.

Anyway, I have a closet full of clothes but nothing to wear.  The sizes range from a medium to a 3x.  Crazy!  This morning as I was getting ready for work, I was perusing the closet and passed by a shirt with an "it's too small" thought.  But then I thought, "Wait - it was too small 35 lbs ago."  So I ironed the shirt and put it on.

SURPRISE!!!

It fit quite well!  Of course, this elevated my mood and I went downstairs to make breakfast and lunch with a smile on my face.

While I was preparing breakfast and lunch, I leaned from one counter to the other and for just an instant, I had a thought in my head that my profile as I leaned from one counter to the other looked really good.

The very next instant that little inner voice said, "You can't possibly look good.  You're still a 255 lb moose."

I was instantly deflated and my mood was tempered.  I hate it when I have thoughts like that.  In the past, thoughts like this have ruined my entire day and have caused me to throw in the towel.

Today it just made me a little sad and regretful.  I mean, I'm down 30+ pounds and I still weigh over 250 pounds.  It's quite easy to give it all up with so much row left to hoe.

But I tell ya what - while I've got a long way to go, I've already come a long way.   (Do I sound like a cigarette commercial from the early 70's or what???)  There's no way I can stop now.

I've got a weird little thought process about the whole thing.  We all know it's shitloads easier to gain weight than it is to lose weight.  If I hadn't made the decision in January to get my ass in gear, I could have been 30+ lbs heavier instead of 30+ lbs lighter.  That IS a lot of weight.  Instead of needing of lose 80 lbs at this point, I might have had 140 lbs to lose.

So instead of looking just at the weight I've lose so far, I try to imagine where the other path might have taken me.  This might be a strange way of thinking, but I think there's some merit to it.

And no, I sure as hell don't look anything like what I'm going to look like when I'm at 175.  But I look better than I did at 290!  That is a very good thing.

I'm gonna have to start taking a closer look at some of the clothes in my closet...and I'm gonna go shopping.

Onward!

5 comments:

  1. There IS merit in tht train of thought! You are doing great, and this is only the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You brought back some good memories with your closet shopping - finding something that you now fit into is such an ego boost! Don't let the amount of weight you still have to lose get you down...like you said, if you hadn't started, look where you'd be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't listen to that voice! Celebrate how far you've come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've come a long way baby !!

    I would love to hire a hit man for that evil little voice we all have in our heads.... but alas we must pound it down ourselves.

    great reverse psychology - Where I could have been if I didn't start when I did is a great thing to think about !

    go thru the closet and get rid of the too big stuff because you are never gonna need it again... and soon, very soon, the shirt you are wearing today will be in that "too big" pile and you'll think .. Wow.. remember when I was happy to fit in that ??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check out more of those 'too small' clothes that you have hanging out!

    And stop listening to the voices in your head that tell you that you are not ......'whatever'.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments here.