Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Banquet...and the tiramisu

Well...here I am...

...reflecting on last night's banquet.

After a trip through the Battle of Gettysburg yesterday, our class had a banquet.

Now, the hotel knew about my food needs during the class, but I had forgotten to say anything about the banquet ahead of time, so I just filled out the banquet card and figured I'd make the best of it.

So, when they started serving the meals last night, the chef had indeed prepared a similar, but distinctly different meal for me.  There was a salad and parmesan chicken with fontina cream over mashed potatoes with a little bit of diced tomato on top.  The dessert was an individual coconut cream pie with a dollop of whipped cream and a strawberry.

The chef did a great job for me.  He basically deconstructed the meal and gave me baked chicken with the fontina cream and the tomatoes on the side.  As well, I had a salad with a small serving of squash.  My dessert was a beautiful wine glass of blueberries and strawberries.  I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate the accommodations I received from the class organizers and the hotel - it really was above and beyond.

This morning was the crap ton of sweet, sugary stuff along with a bunch of bacon and eggs.  The usual person wasn't there, but her replacement was just as nice.  Even nicer was that the usual young lady came by to check and see if everything was good.

Everything was fine...until lunch.  Now??  I think they're out to get me!

So they tried to get me the other day by serving those damn brownies, but I overcame!  So what the hell did they serve today???

TIRAMISU!!!  Evil bastards - the lot of them!

It was one of the most inviting desserts I think I'd ever seen.  It was an entire recipe and they had dressed it so that it was on top of a dish instead of within a pan.

It was tough to avoid.  I hovered around it or at least felt like I did and really had to actively talk to myself in ma haid to not eat it.  And yannow what?  I didn't eat it!  I told one of my classmates to eat my piece.  There was something about doing that that just kinda switched it all up in my head.

A bunch of other classmates and I went out for dinner.  I had crab cakes with a side of roasted kale - it was awesome!  It was thin and crunchy and had a great taste.  I'm gonna try it at home.

I talked with the running classmate.  Pretty incredible - she's completed two marathons and is going for a third.  I'm mind-bogglingly impressed.  We talked for a few minutes about her experience when she started running.  She suggested that I try a 'Couch to 5K' program, so I might check it out.  But more than that, she said that I needed to find something I like.

It was encouraging to see how she has physical activity - strong physical activity - incorporated into her life by her own rules without any anxiety about it.  It seems like it's part of her life instead of an extension of her life.  I hope I'll be able to do that one day as well.

Tomorrow is the last day of the class and so long as I may it through tomorrow, this week will have been a big success for me.  I haven't had a meal at home since Sunday morning and I feel that I've managed quite well and made good choices each time I've been to a restaurant.  I think I might be proud of myself.

My son comes home this evening, so I'm ready for the class to be over so I can hurry home and see him!  Hubster went on travel the day before I left, so I'm looking forward to seeing him as well.

Onward!

6 comments:

  1. Just catching up on your posts for the past few days and good for you resisting the temptations! Sounds like you've set yourself up for success and now you're reaping the benefits :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great when you feel like you can trust yourself? Sometimes I can and sometimes I cannot but I am always super proud when I act in way that demonstrates dedication to my journey and love for me.

    I love the awareness that your friends' physical activity is a part of her life not just an extension! That's good stuff!

    Your success is encouraging!! Keep rockin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing SO well! I've discovered in the past 10 days or so that if I don't look at a dessert or sweet, the cravings are almost nil. I knew I was a 'visual learner', but I never translated that to food before! It's making a HUGE difference for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATULATIONS on your victories this week ! re the couch to 5k ... dont be discouraged if you cant do it the first day - I turned it off after the first minute run because it was too soon for me.. I spent the next few weeks doing 30 seconds here and there.. then finally this week i was actually able to complete "day one" of the program... takes the basics of walk a few minutes then jog a bit then walk again and build up.. Thats of course if you find you want to.. I never would have thought I like to run .. and granted I only run for 1 minute at a time.. but this morning I did it 7 times during a 30 min. walk... and I feel amazing...

    have a great weekend with your son and husband :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for you! Many of my friends enjoyed the Couch to 5K. I simply started running by walking and then running between two light posts. Eventually, that become 4 light posts, then 2K, 5K, 8K, 10K. It's very sad that I gave it up because I haven't been able to muster the desire to start with two light posts again. I found running to be very quick to adapt to but easy to lose if you miss a few days. My ass never looked better than when I was running regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did C25K a couple years ago and it helped me kick start my weightloss & lose 50+lbs. I fell in love with running and have completed 4 half marathons since. I still have a LONG way to go in the weighloss war sadly. Kudos to you for resisting those yummy goodies!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments here.