Wednesday, July 9, 2014

I'm bacckkkkkk!

Well...here I am...

...I'm baccckkkkk!!!!

Vienna was awesome!  It's definitely in my top 5!  There was so much to see and so much to do - I think I'll continue to go with hubster when he has to go.

On the backend of the visit, I'm pretty happy with the way everything turned out.  The scale was up to 257.4 the day we got there, was 261.2 on Monday, and down to 256.6 this morning.  I'm calling that a victory.

At the very beginning of the trip, I was fixating on the food and it was just causing me anxiety about the whole thing.  Finally, I just gave it up and decided that I would enjoy without going crazy.  With the food anxiety I had about the trip, in my mind, all my efforts had turned into a race that I had to win.  It's the same song over and over.  I **have** to win, but the goal is unreasonable in the circumstance, so I fail, and fail miserably, which in turn causes me to give up.  So what happens?  I screw myself over even more.

This time was different.  I caught myself and realized that this isn't a race, it is a way of life.  I was on vacation and there was no reason NOT to enjoy myself, but there was EVERY reason not to screw myself by being a glutton.  It wasn't a necessarily deep thought at all, but I actually **understood** it.  It really calmed me down.

I had beer several times - nice dark beers - but I had a single beer and that was good.  Funny thing, beer is cheaper than both water and soda.  Go figger!!!  There were also Sacher Tortes.  I'd had them here at home, but always found them dry.  We passed the Sacher Hotel often, so we went in one day and saw they had these miniature, single person tortes - three bites max.  Perfect!  I got one, enjoyed it, and that was it.  Tried the apple strudel at Cafe Landtmann, but only ate half because it wasn't a WOW!  Meals were mostly meat with some sort of potato, dumpling, or sauerkraut.  There was always starchy carb left on my plate.

I think the walking helped immensely.  And let me tell you, we did some serious walking!  I didn't ride in a car for over a week.  I had forgotten my walking shoes, so I had to break in a new pair I bought there.  That was a little difficult since I got blisters in all sorts of places on my feet, but the bandaids helped a lot.

Here's a little photo of hubster and me at one of the outside restaurants.  I'm still self-conscious about photos, but I'm trying to get a grip about it.  Besides, I think it's an okay picture.


The day we were at the Belvedere (all the Klimt), I fell on the cobblestones.  Here's the result:

My bruised laig


It's a pretty impressive bruise.  It goes from my ankle to the middle of my knee.  I'm gonna look like a real charmer at the renewal ceremony next week!

The other issue I had was water retention.  I swear I felt like a water balloon about to burst most of the time we were there.  These are my hands today:  


These were my hands last week:


They barely look like the same hands!!!  I drank as much water as I could, but water didn't seem to plentiful in some places or else it was very expensive - like $4 a 3/4 liter.

One thing I was quite happy to see while we were there was Gustav Klimt's The Kiss.
  
The Kiss by Gustav Klimt
Along with Farm Garden with Sunflowers and The Bride, I was a happy camper:

Farm Garden with Sunflowers by Gustav Klimt

The Bride by Gustav Klimt
I don't know why I like these so much - it's not usually what I'd like to look at, but there's something about them that just makes me want to look at them.  The garden painting is the first Klimt I ever saw, but when I saw his other stuff, I was totally intrigued.  Oh - one cool thing.  Our hotel was on the same street as Klimt's studio in the early 1900's - Josefstadter Strasse.

Anyway, that's about it for now.  It was a great time.  Now comes next week.  Lots of family and friends and our vow renewal.  I think it's gonna be another great time!

Onward!

16 comments:

  1. Your leg might be bruised and cut up, but you have nicely shaped calves and ankles! :) Welcome back and congratulations on successful vacation eating. Missed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you Diva!!! Now I'm gonna be staring at my legs!!! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Welcome back !! so glad you had fun and got over your food anxiety... you seemed to really get the whole balance thing. The photo is amazing ... you and your hubby look great !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! I'm not particularly photogenic, but I thought it looked pretty good.

      Delete
  3. Welcome back. I'm glad to read that you were able to enjoy your trip without over indulging. I think that is what people without weight issues do. Congratulations on getting below your pre trip weight already. Obviously the gain was all water from the looks of your hands.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori - Weren't my hands incredible?!?!?! It was amazing! As far as the eating - it was interesting that food wasn't the focus. I didn't realize it until after I got home.

      Delete
  4. Youch sorry about the leg and bruising but I'm so so glad you had such a wonderful time! Sounds like an amazing trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Desiree!!! That bruise is pretty awesome in a disgusting sort of way, huh! It WAS an amazing trip!

      Delete
  5. Welcome back! Sounds like a great vacation - I'm glad you were able to let go of the food anxiety and just enjoy yourself (in moderation, it seems...nice going!). OUCH on that fall and those bruises. Not quite the souvenir you'd like to bring home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley - I was pretty proud of myself. Tasting, enjoying/savoring, and letting it go and being satisfied. I wish it were like that all the time!

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful trip! Sounds like all that walking really allowed you the freedom to enjoy some tasty treats. Welcome back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna - your right on the money there!!! I think the walking was THE thing that made it all work.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful area to visit! Great job on actually being down 1 lb on your vacation. I'm sure not to many people can say that....ever! So congrats!! Hope that bruise is healed up soon!
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yannow Rosie - I didn't realize that until you said it. I'm impressed by this stupid bruised leg, but I've never seen anything like it.

      Delete
  8. Yikes...that is a badly bruised leg...and the water retention was CRAZY!

    It sounds like you managed your vacation perfectly for your weight loss efforts! AND learned a valuable lesson about how to handle such situations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. gads!! that must have been a hela palooza fall!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments here.