Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Success!!

Well...here I am...

...and the day was a success!!!

I ate exactly what I planned to eat for both meals out today.

Lunch was easy; dinner was relatively easy with a few small challenges.

The restaurant my girlfriend and I ate at tonight was my favorites steakhouse when we lived in Texas.  They've just opened up a location in the town just north of where I live and I'd been looking forward to eating there.  When I told hubster about it, he immediately told me that his old wife wouldn't have done that to him.  I told him that his old wife must have been a lot nicer than his new wife - suck it up and get over it.  lol

Anyway, this restaurant brings a bowl of freshly baked rolls along with a sweet butter as you're seated.  And just let me say - they are good.  So, they placed the rolls on the table and I moved them to the side.  After a moment, I pinched a bite.  Luckily, they weren't hot, so they weren't IT...yannow what I mean?  So I left them alone.

Now before I picked up my girlfriend tonight, I talked with my mother on the phone and we talked about how good the house salads were - so cold, crisp, and fresh.  I don't know what it is they do that makes it different - lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese, and egg - that's it.  But they really are a salad apart from your every day run of the mill house salad.

So as I sat looking at the menu, it was like a little internal dialogue.  "Ok self, what are you gonna have?"  "Are you gonna make good decisions?"  "Remember the salt!"  "Oh maybe I can splurge a little."  "No dumbass!!  You've been splurging for two months now!!  Snap out of it!"  "You gotta weigh tomorrow."

It wasn't a matter of picking the entree - it's a steak....period.  It was a matter of picking the sides - sweet potato - plain, loaded, striped, plaid - it seemed like an endless list!  It was the same thing with a white potato - plain, loaded, mashed, fried, etc.

So what did I do?

Well - during the conversation with my mother, I said that I was gonna get a double side salad.  And that's exactly what I did.  I had a moment of...not weakness...uncertainty is a better description...while we were ordering, but it passed.

I ended up with a triple salad (kitchen error) and a steak.  It was awesome!  We enjoyed the meal and we had some good conversation.  I liked the relaxation and conversation more than the food.

That might seem like an odd thing to voice - that I liked the relaxation and conversation more than the food; but in all honesty, it hasn't always been that way.  At times in the past, F.O.O.D. was the highlight.  How offal (hahahahaha) is that?

Maybe I'm learning.

Onward!

10 comments:

  1. You articulated a huge change in this post by declaring other things more enjoyable than the food. It's when we start to find joy in other things that food starts to feed only physical hunger and not emotional. Great insight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't really thought about it in those terms - thanks Diva!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic job!!! I'm really proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little proud of myself too - especially when I saw the scale was down this morning!! After eating out two meals!!!

      Delete
  3. Good going! I've done a double side salad there (Roadhouse, right?) and it was really satisfying. Can't beat their steaks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would know the steakhouse I was talking about Shelley! They do have awesome steaks...and the salads are awesome!

      Delete
  4. That sounds like personal growth to me. Good for you. I am glad you nibbled the roll. That way you knew for sure that they weren't all that and didn't obsess about it (like I would).
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori. I'm learning that the treats/splurges need to be really worth it otherwise there would be no room for splurges. I hope that makes sense.

      Delete

Leave your comments here.