Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Dessert

Well...here I am...

...and I've had a good birthday.  I talked with all of my family today, received birthday wishes from friends who referred to me with old endearments, someone sang to me, I received flowers, work was productive, I actually had a productive meeting, and had a nice dinner with hubster.  I was remembered just the way I liked, I didn't have to contend with cake at work, and the scale was below 250!  249.2!!!!!  Is that awesome or what???

SCORE!

But what's on my mind is dinner with hubster.  We went to a steakhouse for dinner because I love steak.  We ordered the appetizer - cheese stuffed mushrooms, some type of fried shrimp, and chicken eggrolls.  I was all about the mushroom and the shrimp, but I left the chicken eggrolls alone.  Carby indeed.  Dinner was a steak with a double salad.

That's all well and good, but the thing on my mind is the dessert.  Dessert for my birthday this year was totally different experience from my birthdays in previous years.  TOTALLY.

As was the case tonight, dessert has always been a part of a birthday dinner (and lots of non-birthday dinners as well!!)  Usually, I would order THE most decadent dessert I could possibly get.  Honestly, my thought process was like OMG I'VE GOT TO HAVE THIS DESSERT, I WILL DIE IF I DON'T GET THIS DESSERT.  WHEN WILL I EVER BE ABLE TO HAVE IT AGAIN?  I'VE GOT TO HAVE IT NOW!!! Somehow I *deserved* the dessert and was almost panicky at the thought of something keeping me from having it.  I would also talk hubster into getting dessert for himself as well because I didn't want to share.  If he didn't want a dessert for himself and I had to share, I was irritated and was actually pissy and a bit possessive of MY dessert - it's like I was never taught to share as kid or something.  I can distinctly remember getting irritated when hubster ate more of MY dessert because that meant there was less for me.  It's almost like a crazed animal was in my head.  In my mind, I wanted to surround the dessert and keep it from anyone else.

That's pretty fucked up, but that's honestly how it WAS.  Food chatter indeed!  More like a food brawl!

For this birthday, I certainly could have said no to a dessert, but I did want a treat (and it was free).  The biggest difference was that I wasn't crazed about it and actually asked hubby what he wanted since I truly wanted to share it with him.  After making the selection of a brownie sundae with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream, I asked the waitress to make sure it was a small dessert.  After we got it, hubster and I shared.  I didn't keep an eye on how much hubster ate; hell, hubster even had the dessert on his side of the table.  After a few bites, I realized that I didn't want anymore.

Do you know what I did?

I put my spoon down and stopped!

That is so incredibly awesome.  But the best thing is that it was natural.  There was no internal argument, there was no fuss, there was no struggle.  I had my taste and my taste was quickly satisfied.  I actually savored it.  I noticed that the first and second bites were about equally good, but the third bite was just okay.  Just okay wasn't a reason to keep eating.

I think I may have learned something - I feel like I got a 100 on an exam.

Onward!

12 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday and what a birthday present you received. The gift of understanding how to "do it"! It sounds like a wonderfully freeing experience. I am so happy for you! And below 250!?! You are making great progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! Sounds like you had a good one. Food brawl, I like that expression! Good for you for making the choice that was best for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! And I loved the story about dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job! Good for you! Glad to hear you had a great birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOORAY for putting that darn spoon down! Now to the next year of celebrations and successes! :)
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!@!!!

    Mine is a couple of weeks away; we already know we are going to Cheesecake Factory because we have $100 in gift cards, and, because I want to. Not sure what dinner will be, but I will order a slice of cheesecake for dessert. Have several forkfuls, push it away (NOT take the leftovers home)...and walk away with a smile on my face. No chocolate though. That's gateway/trigger food for me.

    GOOD JOB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOU ROCK ! What a great birthday.. so very proud of you.. keep moving onward.. you have come so far !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! Sounds like you had a great birthday. You were in control of the desert and evil self-talk way to go! We have a lot of birthdays coming up in September, mine included and I hoping that I can take your example. Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you for putting the spoon down. That is the hardest thing for me. I feel like I need to eat until the food is gone. It seems wasteful. (As would be turning down free dessert!!!!)
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful victory for putting the spoon down when you were truly done!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments here.