Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Damn scale

Well...here I am...

...thinking about the damn scale.  It does seem to have a mind of its own sometimes.



The scale has been up every day for the last four days in a row - and I have been ON POINT!  No slipping, no sliding at all!

I couldn't figure out at first what was going on, so I started looking for clues.

First - when I went to the doctor last week, she added another blood pressure medication.  When I started losing weight, my blood pressure went down to normal, but it didn't last long.  It didn't go back as high as it originally was, but it's still high enough to warrant medication.  Perhaps the medication is doing it.  However, I specifically asked her how it would affect my weight and she said it wouldn't.  So probably not.

Second - I've been having sausage, brie, and cheese for breakfast the last few days - not all willy nilly, but weighed and measure so as to not go wild.  Could it be the nuts and cheese?  I don't think I've had problem with nuts and dairy before, but it's a possibility.

Third - and most likely - I'm getting ready to start.  Over the last year or so, they've become irregular, but all the tell-tale signs are there - so that's probably it.  Dammit!

Just gotta pay attention to the ol' body!

It was really frustrating at first.  I mean, I've been doing great and THIS happens?!?!  I don't know what the scale will say for the next few days, but I know I'll be on point...and STAY on point.

The combination of the scale, the yucky crampy feeling, and the ever-present stress at work has the potential to lead to bad decisions - and it almost happened tonight.

The last few days have been stressful...yet again!...at work.  As hubster and I are work this evening, I get a message that there's a serious accident and all lanes of traffic are closed.  Of course, it's our route.  Great!  JustGreat!  It will take forever to get home.

We take the back road and make progress, but I ask hubster if he wants to go to the Peruvian place.  He says okay.  So off we head in the direction of the Peruvian restaurant.

But wait...didn't I say that I was going to try and not eat out last week?  And here I am the one suggesting that we go out to eat?  Wait a minute - didn't we eat out last night because we had errands to run after work?  Do I really want to go out to eat?  If we don't go out to eat, there will be less temptation, we'll get home sooner, and we'll save that money.

While I'm considering this decision, I remember being in the car about the same time and about the same place several months ago.  The decision then was whether or not to go out to eat. At the time, hubster didn't want to go, so we came home.  At that time, I remember I got mad and felt quite deprived because I wasn't getting to eat what I had in my mind.  While that time didn't have anything to do with tonight, somehow remembering that helped me.

This time, I wasn't thinking about any food in particular, I was thinking about the time and the ease.

Decision made and changed - we go home instead.  Dinner was very simple - pork chops.  Quick, easy, and it was done.  I think we save time AND money.  But more importantly, I kept my word.  We've eaten out the one time this week, so done is done!

Onward!

17 comments:

  1. good girl! And it's definitely 'that time'...maybe the sausage too. Not sure how salty brie is; might want to look into that.

    TRUST THE PROCESS. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite right - trust the process!!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lucky Mama. Good for you making the right choice after a stressful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry your having a stressful week. Good job on not eating out after said stressful day. I think your going to have to tweak your eating again to get the scale going down. Also stay off the scale during "that time". Since you have blood pressure issues I recommend getting a copy of the "Dash Diet" it is set up for folks with bp issues the diet recommends whole foods cooking from scratch etc. helps bring down the bp and promotes weight loss as well. Also I would look at the amount of salt you are consuming. Are you drinking enough water? I use myfitnesspal.com to keep a strict eye on my micros such as carbs, proteins, fats. Also I found I can't eat as much carbs of any kind especially breads, pasta, fruit which I love and expect to have a easy time maintaining let alone trying to finagle a few pounds off since going through menopause. Lastly, I read the coolest quote this morning "Our bodies are made for doing things not for looking at" I hope something I have thrown out helps you:) Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sodium varies, but is almost always within range. And Lord, I'm a drinker!! I bet I have a gallon of liquid a day - all unsweetened tea or water. I do have my coffee with stevia. I basically have a LCHF diet with moderate protein.

      It'll happen!

      Delete
  4. It is so hard to stay with your plan when the scales are against you. Good for you for staying strong and keeping to your commitment.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes it easier to know there's a reason yannow. I'm just thinking of what it's gonna be like after the next 10 days!

      Delete
  5. Times like that is when your strength really shows through: stressful day, disrupted route home, deciding what to eat and where. Good for you for sticking to your goal of eating at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty proud of myself - sometimes it's very difficult for me to make the right decision.

      Delete
  6. Darn scales are so wonderful but so infuriating when our bodies play games (or rather we play games like eating sodium rich foods while our cycles are swirling around)!

    I am utterly proud of your for hanging your dining plans mid stream!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to "see" you Mary Fran!!! I'm ready for the scales to be wonderful!

      Delete
  7. While ready about changing your mind I remembered your post about getting upset ... Lady you are really making progress... setting goals and sticking to them ... proud of you! I remember those monthly visits and yes ... it is probably the culprit ... so glad I don't have those visits any more ... don't know if I could handle the emotional roller coaster it caused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno what it was - but remembering that post really did help me. Kinda cool that you remembered it too!

      Believe me, I'm ready for this visitor to leave!!!

      Delete
  8. I really hope that you'll see a NSV that blows your socks off since the scale isn't cooperating how you'd like. Sometimes, the scale says no movement but the clothes are looser. I am so happy for you that you didn't cave into eating out of frustration and stress! The scale WILL follow. It's your heart and mind that are hardest to change and you're doing that successfully! You're treating the disease, the symptoms will follow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job on not eating out! It's not easy sometimes. As for the scale, it sure does have a mind of its own at times. I get equally as frustrated sometimes. We just have to remember that if not today, but soon the scale will show us the numbers we want to see if we just keep moving forward and never give up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scales are pure evil!

    Even tho you drink lots of fluid; it might still be the sodium in your breakfast. If so, I think you'll see a whoosh soon.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments here.