Friday, November 7, 2014

TGIF

Well...here I am...

 ...TGIF!

We found out yesterday that our oldest dog, Lucky, is in renal failure, which makes us quite sad.  We went through it with Lila, our Corgi, so we know what to expect.  Luckily, we discovered the issue with Lucky early so that's a big help - her creatinine and BUN are quite elevated, but her phosphorus levels are normal.  We'll give her subcutaneous fluids twice a day and keep her on a low protein diet.  While it seems a bit odd to say, other than the kidney failure, she's in good health!  We got her from the pound when she was 3.5 years old.  She had been mistreated, was quite sickly, and had heart worm.  That was Christmas 2000.  We got her all fixed up and she's been an awesome, faithful girl!


Food-wise, I'm still on it!  We've eaten home each night for the last week except for Tuesday, so that's awesome.  We ate out on Tuesday because of errands we needed to run and knew we'd get home late, so we went to the rib place.  We'll do the same thing for the coming week - eat at home!

One thing I notice eating at home - and hubster commented on it tonight - is that the food we prepare at home generally tastes better than restaurant food.  That's not always been the case - I think we've just become better cooks!

One cool thing happened today.  We always stop at McDonald's for coffee in the morning.  When we got to the drive-thru window this morning, the girl told us that the car ahead of us had paid for our coffee.  How awesome is that?!?!  We were so excited by the kind gesture that we didn't pay for the car behind me, but we will on Monday!

I'm starting to think about Thanksgiving.  My mother and my daughter get here two weeks from tomorrow, and my son, my sister, and my niece get here on Wednesday before turkey day, so I gotta start planning.  We always have just a good family time - nothing over the top at all, but just the comfortableness and contentment of spending time together.  

Mama always makes vegetable soup and potato soup.  We have the same conversation every year about whether it's ground beef or hot dogs that go into the vegetable soup.  Mama - it's ground beef!  We always buy an extra ham so Mama will have the bone for the potato soup.  I don't know what it is, but Mama's ham is a lot better than my ham and we all just graze on it.  I prefer the vegetable soup, while my sister prefers the potato soup, so that will be easy!  We also hit Macaroni Grill because Mama loves it.  We've had shitty service the last several years, so we're switching locations this year.

In thinking about the upcoming holiday, I remember and think a lot about the picture that Mama and I took together last year.  It is a terrible picture of me and it ain't so good of Mama either.  I love the pic though because Mama doesn't like having her picture taken and I don't either, so getting one of us, much less BOTH of us actually semi-posing for the camera - well, that's something special.  It don't no matter we ain't beauty queens - we got our own brand o'beauty!


Anyway, when I saw that picture I was close to horrified.  I'm an effing moose!  It helped me start thinking about making changes that needed to be made - it wasn't IT, but it was a help.  That jacket in the picture - I wore it today.  Last year, I couldn't zip it; today, one side crosses the other side by about 4 inches.  I hope Mama will take the same picture in the same spot as last year.

We'll see.

Onward!

20 comments:

  1. Mama, Lucky is indeed lucky to have yall as her doggy parents. I love my fur babies and I know how hard it is when they're not well. Way to go on the eating at home and that pay it forward at Mickey D's was sweet. I hope you have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alati! We love all our animals dearly.

      Delete
  2. Aww sorry to hear about sweet Lucky.
    Great job with the eating and the paying it forward. You should totally take a pic in the same jacket with you and Mama and compare the differences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than the renal issues, she's in good health. Thanks Desiree.

      Delete
  3. Awww, poor Lucky, and poor you guys. Big hugs to all of you.

    I can't wait to see the new photo of you and your mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's a lovely picture! :)

    Your dog is beautiful. I do hope she does well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna - on both counts! :-)

      Delete
  5. You're not an effing moose...you are beautiful. You have lovely skin and really good skinny genes to inherit from your Mama. Sorry about your dog. Proud of you for eating in!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yannow - mama had some weight issues when she was younger as well...but she's been thin for a lot of years now.

      Delete
  6. Not a moose, a fox!! Our fur babies are just as dear to us as our 2 legged babies .... And they don't ask for money but they do poop on the floor ... Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true! We do love our furry babies! And I'm glad the two-legged ones don't poop on the floor!!!

      Delete
  7. We lost our dog about 13 months ago. It was quite sad for us and still is some days.

    I think it would be great to take another picture in the same spot. You could really see your progress then.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori - Isn't it amazing how they become such a big part of our lives. We lost Lila 4 years ago and we still miss her terribly.

      Delete
  8. Another vote here for an annual photo! But I think you look lovely in the old one too--warmth and intelligence just radiate. But heck, it's always fun to see progress photos, and you've been doing such an awesome job making different choices, week in and week out, that it would be fun to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crabby - you're too sweet! I'm eager to take the photos, but nervous all at the same time!

      Delete
  9. Great Post . You sure are making so many changes.... Progress!!! Oh ... I'm sorry about Lucky ... but one thing she has GOOD PEOPLE looking out for her!!! She was and is a Lucky Girl to have found you and hubsters! Ya know I've been thinking / worrying about Thanksgiving too ... so many changes this year in our eating that very little of our traditional Thanksgiving meal will work ... So trying to come up with a work around that will benefit hubby and I and satisfy the rest of the gang. Not going to be easy! I love the picture of you and your mom! Am looking forward to the updated picture! Bribe her if you have to ... I think that picture should be an annual tradition! We never remembered to take pictures at family events so we started a "photo booth" type thing for selfies ... my daughter is in charge of the settings/back drops ... and then I leave my phone there for everyone to use ... We have had some really fun surprises!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking about Thanksgiving too - still haven't decided what I'm gonna do.

      Delete
  10. I'm new to your blog and think the picture of you and your mom is lovely.

    I'm so sorry about your dog; she's very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous - your twin comes by often. ;-) Thanks for stopping by - I hope you come back often. And thank you too for your compliment on the pic of my mother and me. Lucky is a cutie patootie.

      Delete

Leave your comments here.