Thursday, January 1, 2015

Goodbye 2014, Hello 2015

Well...here I am...

Goodbye 2014, Hello 2015.  There's not a whole lot of resolutions going on around here that are tied up with the new year - those will come in a few days on my weightaversary.  Yeah Diva - I'm like you that way!

There's always so much hoopla surrounding New Year's - I've never been a big fan of the whole New Year's thing - though hubster's and mine's (is that grammatically correct?) first date was on New Year's Eve...back in the Stone Age.

As I've gotten older, I've been happier to just hang out at home, spend time with family, and just watch the celebrations on TV.  I think it's laziness.

In any event, this year was the same.  Just hubster, our son, and me.  They played some crazy game in the basement that shook the entire house - no kidding - and drank gin and tonics all night.  Hubster's up, but our son is still sleeping.

Foodwise, yesterday was a good day with a few small challenges.

My replacement at work is having some issues, so she and I went to McDonald's so we could have a private chat.  We talked about some of the issues and then about the turnover.  I think she'll be good.  Anyway, McDonald's had their pancakes for a buck, so she got them.  Now, I had already had breakfast, but I gotta say, I eyed those pancakes as she slathered butter all over them.  I reminded myself that 1) I had already had breakfast, 2) I wasn't hungry, 3) I could get something different if I were hungry, 4) I'd really fuck up my recent progress, and 5) Dammit - this ol' body deserves better than some fast-food pancakes anyway!

I didn't have the pancakes.

However, we were at McDonald's until almost lunch-time and I hadn't brought a lunch to work.  I called hubster to see if he wanted anything, so I had lunch at McDonald's - their grilled bacon ranch salad.  As I looked up the nutrition content on Fatsecret while I was eating, I noticed that it had 22 g of carbs listed.  I couldn't figure that out at all.  Certainly the salad vegetables didn't have that many carbs.  So, I went to the McDonald's website and discovered that the stupid bacon bits have the majority of the carbs - something like 10 or 12 g.

Bacon?  Really?  Bacon is all fat and protein - where's the carbs there?  And then I remembered - chemical shit storm! So, while I may have a McDonald's salad in the future, I will not be having their bacon bits.

We had an early release for the holiday, so when we got home, hubster and son went to the liquor store for their libations.  I hung around the house and just puttered.

Later in the evening when they were gearing up to play, they each made their own gin and tonic and I had a sip of each of their drinks.  My son's was in an appropriate glass and had a nice, mild, and great taste - something you could probably drink too much of really fast and get hammered.  Hubster's drink?  Holy moley!!  He had it in a mason jar and I think the damn thing was about fuming!  I took a *really* little sip of his.  There was a lot more gin than tonic!  Anyway - they had some good father/son time, were able to do what they wanted and the best part, they didn't have to drive anywhere!

So - I had a little bit of alcohol, but that wasn't a temptation by any stretch.

Everyone was on their own for dinner last night, so I had the rest of the prime rib and some guacamole.  To me, it was perfect!

The scale was down again today.  Yeah me.

My two favorite quotes for New Year's are from Neil Gaiman: 

“May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art -- write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.” 
 Neil Gaiman

“I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes...you're Doing Something.” 
 Neil Gaiman

I'm gonna work to make sure today is a good day!

Onward!

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! May you continue to find success in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year, sweetie! I haven't eaten in a McDonald's in over a year. I wouldn't even know what's (new) on the menu anymore. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments here.