Monday, August 31, 2015

Failing to plan

Well...here I am...

...today was a case of failing to plan, but I think I did okay.

I've been trying to get to work quite earlier for the past few months.  It's a quieter (more quiet?) time of day and the parking is MUCH better.  If someone had told me six months ago that I'd want to get up at 4:30 am, I'd have told them they were crazy.  Now...I'm the crazy one!

And...I didn't make it today.  I slept until 5:05 and then felt rushed to get out the door.  I didn't make up the time, so I arrived later than usual - still early but not early enough.  I did take the time to make my breakfast, 4 ounces of brisket with a very high fiber tortilla - 12 grams!

That worked fine until lunch.  There was no combination in the cafeteria that I could make work.  Wait - let me take that back; there was a salad bar, but for some reason I couldn't deal with salad today.  There was a bean and bacon soup, so I had that instead.

That worked fine until mid-afternoon when I got hungry.  There's a vending machine, but I haven't bought anything from a vending machine in YEARS and I wasn't going to start today.  The secretary had some trail mix-y/popcorn-y stuff, so I grabbed a handful of that...then I grabbed another.

On the way home, hubster called to tell me that he was going to be working late - like 9 pm late, so that alters dinner - though I didn't have any particular plan for dinner.  After talking to hubster, I realized I had to stop and get gas because I forgot to fill up over the weekend...rather, hubster forgot to fill up my car!

Anyway, I stop to get the gas and go in to get something to drink.  They have prepared food there.  They had hotdogs, so I thought I'd just get a plain ol' hotdog and be done with it.  I ate the hotdog on the way home.

When I pull up in the driveway, the front door is WIDE OPEN.  WTH?  I have folks in the house for the remodel, but I left specific instructions to not EVER leave the door open because I didn't want Maggie the Cat to get out.  I was pissed and walked in fussing.  I think the poor guy is still scared.  However, I'm confident that he will not be leaving the front door open any more.

I putter around the house and then decide to eat the leftover slow cooked pork I made last week.  After eating the pork, I decided to check the nutritional information for that stupid hotdog.  According to the company's website, that stupid hotdog was 770 calories.

Now, I'm not much of a calorie counter, but holey pajoley.  I would have estimated about 400 calories - I was off by HALF!!  To top it off - the sodium content was almost 2000 mg!!!

So - this day was a bust on a bunch of levels.  I was really only conscious about what I was doing for the first half of the day...okay, okay...only for breakfast.  I should have had a more substantial lunch to stave off the munchies in the afternoon or else I should have had something suitable at work to munch on later.

There was a part of me saying that the day was still less than 100 g carb, so it's okay.  That might be so, but they were shitty carbs with little to no nutritional value.  Yup - that bs justification floating around in the wings.

I know better.  So why don't I do better!?!?!  That's the $64,000 dollar question.

I will have the brisket/tortilla thingie again and then I'll take some brisket for lunch and get a small salad from the salad bar.  I'll also take some almonds with me for the afternoon.

Call me Scarlet...tomorrow is another day! 

Onward!

2 comments:

  1. You will do better and better each day, so long as you take the lesson from each day, like you did today.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we need to have a day where we kinda have a baby failure to remind us of our goals and to keep our focus!!!! You got your reminder and you have figured out a plan for the future.....VICTORY!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments here.