Saturday, January 16, 2016

Lucky, LUCKY Day

Well...here I am...

...feeling quite reserved at the Lucky, LUCKY Day we've had.

Started the day off with the toothache and the furnace.

While we're usually off on Fridays, hubster went in for a meeting.  The furnace guy was quite professional and friendly.  He fixed the first furnace and then took a look at the second furnace and both fireplaces for a reasonable price.  How lucky is that???

As I was getting ready, hubster called to tell me he had gotten in an accident - don't worry, I'm fine, I'll just be late.  A few minutes later, a friend called to tell me that she had just passed hubster on the road and stopped to assist.  Hubster mentioned my endo appointment and she offered to take me.

Well...said friend indeed took me and as we passed by the accident, I told her I wanted to stop.  It was a little more than hubster indicated and the friend didn't understand what had happened.

There was a snowstorm this morning and some of the intersections were particularly bad.  Hubster was unable to brake, slid through an intersection, and was t-boned by a van travelling at ~50 mph.  He was heading west, she was heading east, but they both ended up facing south.  They went a ways up the road in the slide and ended up ramming into a snow brake.  Hubster must have blacked out for a moment because the driver of the van was already out of the car before he realized it.  He got out of our car - a 2002 Outback - checked to make sure everyone was okay and smelled propane.  He looked and saw that a 1000 gallon propane tank had been knocked off its base on the other side of the brake.

The driver of the van was a relatively young mother with 5 children under the age of 8 in the car, while hubster was alone.  And no one in that car was hurt - scared, but not hurt.  Thankfully they were all properly buckled up in the car.  Hubster separated his shoulder which is painful for him and has a small goose egg on the side of his head.  The owner of the nearby house called the propane company and took care of all the kids in her house while all the issues were worked out.  We were also fortunate in that we live out in the county, so there wasn't a lot of traffic on the road.  How lucky is THAT?


Hubster wanted me to go on to the endo and meet up with me.  So my friend dropped me off at the endo and went back to drive hubster home since the Subaru had to be towed.  I was late to the appointment (once I saw the accident, I called and said I would be late) and the first thing they did was ask about hubster.  As I was settling in with the gas to get the procedure started, hubster walked in - I was happy!  The surgery went very well and I have 5 stitches.  I liked the doctor and his nurse very well - they had a terrific, soothing manner.  I always have a lot of questions and the doctor patiently answered them with a smile.  How lucky was I?

After the appointment, we took hubster to the doctor to look at his shoulder.  He's separated his shoulder, but will be okay.  How lucky is he??

I dunno - rough things happened today, but everything worked out in a positive manner.  A few seconds could have made all the difference in the world today.  I was telling my friend who carried us around today that I have a sense that this wasn't a bad day at all, but rather a very, very good day.

Friends are telling hubster that he can go ahead and get his truck now.  I've been dragging my feet about getting another vehicle, but the time might be now.  How Lucky is hubster?

I'm incredibly sobered at the fact that I've got hubster next to me in the bed as I write this.  I feel very fortunate indeed.

Food was so-so.  The tooth was bothering me this morning, so it was mostly coffee, but I did have half a chicken strip.  Around 5 pm, on the way home from all the events of the day, hubster wanted mexican so we picked up burritos and tacos.  I pulled off the excess tortilla on a meat and cheese burrito and then had a taco.  As we were eating, I was very aware of the fact that I wrote about "soothing" and "eating" last night.  I tried to make sure I was eating for hunger and indeed I was.  I basically had one meal all day.

And the truffles are still untouched and sealed.

Onward!!!


11 comments:

  1. Wow! He really was fortunate! That must have been really scary. That is the kind of situation where I can tend to overeat, so great job paying attention it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that your husband is alright! Accidents can be so scary and you handled it well in all respects. I hope your recovery goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan! So glad to "see" you! I'm glad he's okay too. I'm working on myself!

      Delete
  3. Thank goodness that everything turned out ok. Yes, you may have to get a new truck (which isn't necessarily bad) but you are both healthy and alive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - I'm still not looking forward to a new truck, but I reckon it'll be what it's gonna be.

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, SO glad everything turned out as smoothly as it did! That could've been awful! :: hugs ::

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kailani! ((HUGS)) right back atcha.

      Delete
  5. I am so glad that hubster was ok. It is good to keep a positive outlook. It makes all the difference.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori - I'm serious when I say we had a lucky day. The human outcomes...well, I don't want to think about the alternatives.

      Delete
  6. So very glad everything turned out okay. Scary! Glad you could get the endo done. Wishing you both speedy healing.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments here.