Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Support

Well...here I am...

...thinking about support.

It seems that this is turning out to be the week for support!

When we returned from the Christmas holiday, I immediately noticed that my admin had lost some weight.  I immediately told her that she was looking good.  So yesterday, I arrived a little later to work (since I had to take hubster to the airport) and my admin followed me in to my office telling me stuff all the way.  Somehow the conversation turned to diet and weight loss, which was unusual.  Anyway, she said that she would love it if we could support each other as we lost weight.  I thought it was a great idea.  Whereupon she immediately told me I had to quite drinking diet soda because it's poison.  I usually get a diet soda in the morning and it will last me all day long.  But point taken, I'll drink water from here on out.

Later, I wrote a blogger bud who was having a bad day.  In turn, she replied and it made MY day.  Funny how that works.

I worked at home today.  A coworker of mine knew it and called to see if I wanted to go to lunch.  Said coworker is also on the downward weight trend.  She's lost close to 30 pounds and is looking tremendous.  She has been someone I've talked with about all the weight drama...because she understands it and we seem to share some food similarities - I suppose it's easy to see it and call the other on it, but at the same time be super supportive.

This meant that I had to get dressed...dammit.  Anyway, she and I met at a restaurant and it was just easy and natural.  We both order grilled chicken sandwiches without the bread and had grilled veggies.  It was really nice that we were out and together, had an on-point meal, and just talked about stuff other than food.  She's a smart cookie, has an awesome sense of humor, and most importantly, doesn't take herself to seriously.

In yet another conversation I had today, an acquaintance and I were also talking about weight loss.  She was asking me a lot of specifics about what I ate.  I realized mid-conversation that what I wanted to tell her and what she wanted to know were two different things.  She wanted the diet specifics, while I wanted to give her the "mind" specifics.  I think the best thing I told her was, "When you screw up and you will, don't beat yourself up, but more importantly, DON'T GIVE UP!"

I think that's about the smartest advice I've given.  Now...to follow my own advice.

The other thing that's really been awesome lately are some of the other bloggers.  Some of them seem to be writing the very thoughts in my head.  Even better, they'll write something that just slaps me right in the face.  Sean with his tremendous insight, Kerstin with her resistance monster, Karla with her GIFs, Lori and Mary Fran with their positive comments and support, and Josie and Crabby with their funny, insightful blogs.  They've all given me so much this week...and they don't even know it.  Hopefully, I can pay it forward one day.

I came across a TEDx talk called "Reversing Type 2 Diabetes Starts with Ignoring the Guidelines" given by Sarah Hallberg.  Can I just say, "AMEN!"  I'm not a diabetic, but have several friends who are.  They've all benefited by doing precisely what she suggests.  I think she's spot on! 

Food has been good.  I'm trying to eat when hungry.  It's turning out that many days, I'm eating two meals a day with a snack somewhere along the line.

I went back and looked at what I was doing when I started on this road.  I feel a bit smarter and wiser now, but I was glad to read what I wrote.  If I did it then, I can do it now;  if I can do it now, I can do it tomorrow!

Onward!

6 comments:

  1. Support is a huge part of any life transition, be it weight loss or something else. I know often, when I get supportive comments, it is a just the right time and can even bring a tear to my eye. I'm glad to know that I have done the same for you.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to reach out to others beyond the confines of my blog, I think. I'm just trying to decide if I want to pay for it or not. I know it would help, especially long term/life change-wise. :)

    Glad you have 'real life' support around you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always nice to have a supportive people in your life.
    Good job on staying on point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this - If I did it then, I can do it now; if I can do it now, I can do it tomorrow! Great thought to carry me through my day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when people come into my life that offer the most incredible support! Looks like you have had a great week of this!!!!

    Keep up the great work...even when you have a less than stellar day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I did it then ... I can do it now! If I can do it now, I can do it tomorrow!!! I absolutely love that quote. I have been struggling to get back on track ... I think I need to put that on my mirrors so I see it daily!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments here.