Monday, February 1, 2016

Even-keeled

Well...here I am...

...It's been an even-keeled day.

Things are a bit low-key the last few days with a few little spikes...spikes interesting only to me really.

I don't know if I've actually mentioned it before, but I have a large bowl - a huge aluminum basket really - that's just packed with candy.  It's still got the unopened truffles, a big ol' bag of m&m's, Dove candies, Snicker's bars, kisses - all sorts of good stuff.  It stays on the counter and whoever comes to the house gets whatever they want.  It's like Halloween sitting on the counter.  And for some reason, I have no desire to even touch it.

Now, at work, a woman I interact with often, has a small bowl - seriously 1/10 the size of the bowl at home - on her desk.  That stupid bowl drives me to distraction.  It's got the same candy in just much smaller sizes.  I always look at the bowl, I always think about getting just one, etc.  There have been times that I went to get "just one" and ended up eating one of every kind in the bowl - to even it all out - to be fair to the candy - I can't pick one over the other!


When I had that reaction today - wanting a piece of the work candy - I told my co-worker about it.  She laughed and moved the candy bowl.  We chatted about it for a little bit, but couldn't come to any resolution as to why the reaction was so vastly different to the two bowls.

Thinking about it on the way home, perhaps it's because the candy at home is full-sized and the work candy is mini-sized.  Perhaps I realize I can't stop if I eat a mini, but realize that a full-sized one is too much.  I dunno.  Something to think about.

Food otherwise has been a little different over the weekend.  On Saturday evening, we cooked a bunch of chicken thighs.  It took forever for the chicken to bake, so I ate green beans by themselves.  When the chicken was done, I ate it by itself with nothing else.  Then last night, I had only shrimp for dinner.  I didn't want to expend the energy to make anything else and that was fine.  And again tonight, we had leftover chicken thighs with nothing else.  A little different.

I was also thinking today at lunch about how my food has changed over the years.  The main entrees in the cafeteria sucked today and I couldn't make it work, so that meant a salad.  The last time I made a salad there, I put a little blue cheese dressing on my salad and then put some in a to-go cup - and I never touched the dressing in the to-go cup.  So today, I didn't get a to-go cup.

As I was eating, I was thinking how much I was enjoying all the different tastes of the veggies - lettuce, cucumber, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, artichokes, slivered almonds - with a little dressing.  Oh - and bacon!  How can I forget bacon?!?!?!?!  It really was good.   Then I remembered how in my younger days, I would flat out drown my salad in dressing...to the point, I would have to get more lettuce just to try and even it out and make it palatable.  I also noted how I leave off all the sweet stuff - it's just not appealing at all.  This isn't a weight-loss thang - it's just how my salad tastes have evolved over the years.  Okay - I do miss croutons, but it's not killing me or anything.

I'm starting to get that feeling again of what it feels like when I eat real food.  The water retention is gone, I actually get hungry, and things seem calmer.

Seems kinda weird for an even-keeled day, but it was.  There was no angst on the candy - just the thought of, "....hmmmm...why do I feel this way."

That's about it for now.  Hilary...put down that damn sugar!!!

Onward!

10 comments:

  1. As a serious stress eater, I always eat more while at work. I can resist donuts and candy and other crap at home far easier than at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still figuring out what I am...seems almost situational.

      Delete
  2. Gotta ask....why the big bowl of chocolate candy at home? Seriously? If hubby wants it, tell him to put it somewhere out of sight that you don't know about. I know you say it's not tempting you...but that's today. I'm just saying, there is no good reason for it to be in your home. :(

    I, too, though, am way more tempted at work than at home. Definitely a stress thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno why the big bowl at home. It sits on the counter and doesn't bother me. Someone spoke of the size of the candy - perhaps that's it. As far as no good reason to be in my home - I'm not the only one who lies here.

      Delete
  3. As soon as I read the words 'mini size' I immediately said to myself "well its because we are programmed to think that it's just a mini sized....I can 'afford' that...it won't hurt me" I'm so glad that you figured that one out on your own. I don't know how to combat it...maybe just knowing that it's an issue is all you need to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MaryFran!!! You're absolutely right! "This little bit won't hurt..." but when the little bit adds up to more than a full-size there's a problem. And THAT is my problem!

      Delete
  4. Funny, I stock the candy section of the gift shop I volunteer at, and don't even consider eating the full-sized candy bars...but let there be a bowl of mini candy bars set out somewhere, and just like you, I have an issue with not grabbing one or three. Good "food" for thought with this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley - I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one like this.

      Delete
  5. I love that you write what I am thinking- it's like you know me! I have the same problem with the Costco individual nut packs. I have an entire case at home that I rarely touch, but let me bring a few to my desk for emergencies and I'm all over them!
    And seriously, how did you know? Hubby just made chocolate chip cookies- I couldn't resist! Thanks for calling me out- that's why I'm so glad you are on your game- hugs

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments here.