Thursday, March 24, 2016

A new low and a new high

Well...here I am...

I had a new low and a new high today!

The scale showed a new low this morning and I was determined that I wasn't going to screw it up.  I was acutely aware of the "free eating time" I wrote about last time.  In this case, it was hubster's return and the new low on the scale - free eating time would have been a reward don'tcha know!

So, it's been a mad house at my house this past week.  I decided that I would surprise hubster and have his office totally remodeled while he was out of the country - right in the middle of the bathroom/laundry room remodel - 11 days that including weekends.  It's an awkward room with six walls and two doors - one of which was removed.

Hubster got home yesterday and we were working on the room right until I picked him up from the airport.  These are the before and after pics - I think we did a good job!


In any event, I had put a roast in the crockpot, so after I picked him up from the airport we came home and ate.  INSTEAD OF GOING OUT!

Then tonight, we had to go to the laundromat to wash clothes since he had barely any clean clothes and we're leaving for his parents' house tomorrow until Monday.  However, we were late getting to the laundromat because we had to talk with the contractor about some of the remodel and what we were going to do with gas lines, etc.  Important stuff!

While at the laundromat, I saw that it was getting late, so I asked hubster what we were gonna do for dinner.  He said that we could do whatever I wanted.  After telling him that I didn't care what we did and that I wanted him to make the decision, I realized that I was telling him to make the decision so that I would have an excuse to "eat wrong" since *I* didn't make the decision.

I realized that was bullshit, but I didn't say anything to him.

We went to a Mexican drive-thru that we both like.  After hubster ordered, he asked me what I wanted.  I told him that I just wanted a Diet Coke.  He didn't say anything about that and just ordered the Diet Coke.  I gotta say - I was thankful when we drove away from the order speaker.  I will also say that I felt a bit uneasy - like I was neglecting myself or not giving myself something I wanted.  I was a little sad too.  But I stuck with it.

When we got home I heated up the leftover roast and sat right down with hubster at the table.  We ate our respective dinners and talked the whole time.  At the end, my roast tasted really good and it really wasn't a big deal that I didn't eat the Mexican stuff.  Gotta say - I felt a little proud of myself.  It's also a really good reminder that I REALLY CAN DO THIS!

I'm hoping that this little victory will help shore me up to keep my shit together in Memphis this weekend.  It's always stressful when hubster's family gets together - they are a contentious bunch of folks and we just don't live our life like that.  I wish they could see how it is when my family gets together at Thanksgiving - we have a really good time and there is rarely, if ever, an argument.  We are thankful we're together, which is the way it should be.  But it's my mother-in-law's 80th birthday and it will be the first time in over 20 years that ALL her children and grandchildren have been together at the same time at their house.  The current pre-visit drama is that hubster's sister wants to make lasagna.  However, her lasagna is not good and she makes a total disaster of the kitchen and then expects everyone else to clean up her mess because she cooked.  The other 3 siblings want to order out and eat from disposable dishes, which sounds awesome to me.

If I'm not gonna eat the Mexican drive-thru I like, you can bet your booty that I'm not going to eat shitty lasagna!  We are staying at a hotel with a made-to-order breakfast, so I know I can get a good meal there - meaning no sugar and minimal carbs for me.  I'll take extra to the room and eat when we return at night if I need.

Wish me luck with the in-laws!

Onward!

7 comments:

  1. I wouldn't eat the shitty lasagna either. I hate wasting calories on something that doesn't make me happy.
    Good job on saying no to Mexican food. That's a very difficult thing to do in my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the room remodel! What was hubster's reaction? I bet he loves it! Not ordering at the drive thru is a big break through ... Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The office looks great, wow! I love seeing before/after pics, not just of weight loss but also remodels :) You did a really nice job here. And well done for sticking to your guns. I totally know what you mean about leaving the decision about what to eat to your husband, I do that too! Because I know he’ll pick something nice and naughty and then it’s not my fault. So sneaky :) Good for you to take care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have so got this! I read the determination between the lines.

    If you can remodel that room in the midst of the other chaos in the house AND stay on plan. You can do anything.

    BTW. the room looks fabulous!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! It is in the little moments that we choose to be successful at change or we just stay as we are. Bravo for you - it looks like you are cheating yourself out of something good (Mexican yumminess) but you are really giving yourself the gift of health. I'm inspired and glad I'm not the only one who tries sneaky little shit like putting the decision on my husband. lol - we are sneaksters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the Mexican! That is a HUGE victory!

    The office looks GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doing good; congrats!

    I think I'm finally back amongst the living, but I have my fingers crossed on that. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments here.