Sunday, May 8, 2016

Moving along

Well...here I am...

 ...moving along.

Happy Mother's Day to all the kinds of mothers out there.

I've been doing a lot of reading and planning - planning as a means of procrastination I think - about exercise.  I've gotten a couple of walks in, lifted a little bit of weight, lamely attempted to work out to a few videos for people who hate exercise.  It's too bad that just watching the videos or thinking about exercising doesn't count.  Hell - I'd be up on a stage all oiled up and winning a body contest if that were the case.

Anyway...

My thoughts have taken a turn regarding exercise lately.  I keep thinking that I'll exercise and have the body like I had in the old days.

Uh...no....that's not gonna happen.  I don't think it's even possible for it TO happen.

I've had a change in mind of being healthy when I'm old.  I don't want to be one of the old folks I see lumbering about because they have little to no muscle.  I want to walk with purpose when I'm old dammit!

I want to build some muscle - real muscle - so that I will be healthier and be able to support all those innards of mine.  Muscle will help my joints - all of which are arthritic.

In five years - hell, in one year...one month - I don't want to be doing what I'm doing now.  And what I'm doing right now is regretting that I didn't start sooner.  My body could have been in much better future shape if I had started earlier.  But now, I've lost some of the traction that I would have had by starting sooner.

I don't want to lose any more.  I don't want to be any less than I can be.

I'd like to be a cougar before I'm a skinned leopard.

So...hubster left for a business trip this morning.  I got up, took a shower, and took him to the airport.  I then drove over to a little park area in town and walked.  I had previously walked this area and noted the large pond.  I mapped it on www.mapmywalk.com and saw that it was 0.33 miles around the pond.

Hmmmm.....a 5k is 3.1 miles.  If I walked it 10 times, I would walk a little more than a 5k.

And that's what I did.  I walked around that damn pond 10 times and then walked a little more to cool down.

The rest of this day I've been staying active - grocery and chore shopping and organizing my office.  Lord have mercy was that a job!!  It's taken the brunt of the remodel and will be the last thing to be remodeled.  I have to shovel it out every so often.

Throughout the day, I've been thinking about what I need to do to sustain forward movement.   My first thought was that I would walk a 5k every day. 

Yes!!!!  I'm going to do this and do it right and be perfect and be the best example and be all on board and no have any problems and not have any issues and hell, I'll even get up to 5 miles a day!!!  Well - that's not gonna work.  Perhaps I can commit to one mile or 1.5 miles every other day, but not every day.

Then I started thinking about the weight stuff.  I think weights are even more important than the walking.  But being that it's me, thinking and doing are definitely two different things.

I read a couple of good websites about weight lifting and body building for old, fat women.  There was some good advice.  Basically, you don't have to be perfect, you don't have to do 25 things, you just have to do a few things.  You do have to have good form to help ensure you don't get hurt.  That got me to thinking further about my girlfriend.  My good girlfriend - that hateful wench :-) - had previously given me the contact information for her trainer.

I'd been planning to call him.  And finally today, I did.  We talked for a few minutes and are planning to meet tomorrow - either at his gym or my house.  We are actually deciding as I type.  I don't know if I'll keep a trainer long-term, but I do want someone to teach me proper form as well as the most effective exercises.

I'm a little excited and a little scared - not of the exercise, but of failing - of starting and quitting.  Of having this bullshit procrastination continue on and on.  It's such an easy default, but I am trying to change it.

Onward!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats for taking these steps to get your fitness /exercise rolling!

    I have recently realized that it's not my weight (although I would like to be a smaller size) it's the fact that I want to be healthy! I want to be an old lady that is out hiking and running marathons and skydiving (ok maybe not those particular things but you get the idea!). So to be that old lady....I have to change my life now!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to have a good plan in order to succeed. Now, you are taking the next step in implementing your plan. You can do this!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a trainer! Keep us posted on that. I have thought about it often but I'm not where I can commit to the time yet. I really hope you find your next motivation! Sure sounds like you are getting there!!! Keep truckin!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments here.